Saturday, July 16, 2011

When Mary Poppins Flew Over Sleeping Beauty Castle

Q: Some of my favorite childhood memories are of visiting Disneyland with my parents, two sisters and brother in the 1960s. This may be just a fanciful childhood memory, but I seem to recall that during that time period, in addition to Tinker Bell's flight, from Matterhorn Mountain to Sleeping Beauty Castle, there was on occasion a flight of Mary Poppins, her umbrella up and carpet bag in hand. Is this just a wishful memory?
Donna, West Covina, California 

A [Dave Smith]: There was indeed a Mary Poppins who flew over Sleeping Beauty Castle in 1966.

[Marcio Disney]

 You can find the original article bellow in our The Best Disney Parks Videos blog!



Summer fireworks at Disneyland began way back in 1956. Five years later, the “Fantasy in the Sky” fireworks show debuted and ran until 2001. The next year a new show began, “Believe … There’s Magic in the Stars.” It ran for three summers. The summer of 2005 exploded with new fireworks in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland. Guests were treated to “Remember … Dreams Come True,” a nighttime spectacular, narrated by the legendary Julie Andrews, that took guests on a nostalgic journey through the park’s history. It was a touching tribute to 50 years of magic. Last summer a new show lit up the sky. “Magical” premiered, and that’s the show currently running. Check out this video of the summer fireworks past and present, and then come see them in person.

5 comments:

  1. Yes I remember Mary Poppins flying as well! Hardly anyone I talk to remembers this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I remember Mary Poppins flying as well! Hardly anyone I talk to remembers this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I remember Mary Poppins flying as well! Hardly anyone I talk to remembers this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Mary Poppins flying across the castle as a child, I think it was a doll though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of the above shows helmed by the legendary Mickey Aronson.
    He began the fireworks programs in 1956, and was in charge of pyro for 50 years.
    I worked with him for 8 years.
    An amazing man.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...